Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Problem with drinking is (A New York Tale)

Ok in this post, I want to briefly talk about a weird night I had and maybe the problem with drinking is, etc. etc. I recently went out and hung out with a friend. This friend is a legendary drinker, he can drink huge amounts of alcohol and not appear drunk in the slightest. The problem with hanging out with this friend is that he likes to view drinking as a contest. Not something enjoyable you do at your own pace. Instead, every time your beer consumption gets low he's on you in your ear saying things like, "Cmon stop nursing it." After a while these taunts begin to work and you increase your consumption accordingly. I don't know where the night really started to go wrong. I know we were on Bleecker Street, when it all started to come crashing down on me. The bitter and actually horrific knowledge that you shouldn't have had that second shot of Grey Goose vodka and yes you will pay for that at some later time. I don't know what happened, except that I tipped the bartender quite well and the second shot was bigger. I had an issue with the juke box which was too soft, I asked for it to be turned up since I had put 15 tracks in. Anyway, don't consume a lot of shots close together, bad idea. The night degenerated from there into a stumbling, struggle through the streets, trying to get my blood alcohol level to drop uncuccesfully I might add. Now I know this may sound strange, but it is possible for a bar to be posessed, or have some sort of demonic undertones to it. The next bar we ended up in was called Mars. It has been there a while but I have never been in there. As we entered, the first thing you notice is how slim and long the bar is. There's hardly any room to walk or move around. If you don't have a bar seat your screwed. As we entered a creepy Lou Reed song was playing, which made one feel as if they had just done Heroin or something. I don't and never have but I can only imagine that this would be somewhat of the feeling if I had ever tried it. The bartender was a long lanky sort of punk rock mod guy gone wrong. He was skeletal and creepy. I immediately started to have an overwhelming feeling of dread and horror at this bar. I had to get out, the people and everything about this place screamed to me to run, run and don't look back. After moving some people out of my way I exited the bar and tried to keep walking down the block. My friend caught up with me and wondered why I had left an almost full beer at the bar (this of course is a sin). I am not preaching here, not telling anyone what to do, just everything in moderation as the old cliche goes. Well I will spare you the details of the rest of my night. Le'ts just say it wasn't my finest hour, but as we all know, everything has its downside. Was it the alcohol or was the mars bar posessed of some evil spirit, I guess it's one of those mysterious tales of NYC that you never quite figure out. More to come, the semester is almost over now, and this has been a fun process, I hope that these blogs, mostly about New York City and life here have been fun to read if anyone is in fact reading this. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment good or bad, although good is always better than bad. But then again we can't all be good can we?