Thursday, April 30, 2009

Isn't it amazing what you can see in NYC

Well this is my last post for my class writing for convergent media. It has been a tough semester in some ways and not so bad in others. I am near the end of my journey at school, I will graduate in the fall and then on to newer things and brighter days I hope.
I find it amazing what you can see in New York City. Today for example, a woman had fallen out of her wheelchair in front of the school, no one seemed to want to help her, she seemed hurt and no one seemed to know what to do about it.
I don't know why but certain things disturb you more in the city than others. I won't go into the grim details of all the things i've seen. Be that as it may, the city is always bombarding us with sites, sounds, images, noise, etc. imagine walking down a country road and then being thrust onto broadway and 42nd street at rush hour. It would probably be shocking at the least. It just seems like things come at you hard and fast here, if you walk through crowded areas, you have to be adept at dodging people and making your way through obstacles. Everyone is on the move, trying to get somewhere. Every event sets off a chain reaction of other events. You just hope that at the end of the day, this reaction ends with you getting home alive. I mean lets face it, the city is safer but its by no means safe. While crime is down, if you watch the local news every night, it usually opens with a murder, it's usually somewhere far from you or maybe not, in an outer borough or sometimes Manhattan too. The point is, it happens and this place isn't safe. But where is safe? Columbine seemed safe until one day two kids came into school with guns and started shooting people. I think it's all relative. Stuff like that doesn't happen in big cities. I wonder why that is. I don't think it's possible to really fully see New York City in a life time even. I just think it's too vast with too many areas for it to ever be truly known. Maybe that's the magic of it, wherever you live in the city, you're in your own little melting pot somewhere in the big one. Your bombarded by cultures, languages, scents, sounds, sites and so much more and in a sense you become a part of the place you are in. The city becomes a part of you and the energy of it gets into your soul. I think the real mystery of New York City is the vastness of possibility, the sheer size of the city and all it offers. People enjoy getting lost here. I hope I will continue this blog with new stories, it has been fun writing it so far, the city has come alive again, spring has finally shown up a bit. I hope to write more about the city and what it has to offer and some of its stories that include me in them. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment good or bad, although good is always better than bad. But then again we can't all be good can we?